Skip to Main Content
Covid-19 Alert. Town Office Building Open (By Appointment Only)
How Do I
Police News and Events
Wilbraham Public Access
Wilbraham Public Access
View All Posts
Senior Tax Work-Off Abatement Program Seeks Applicants for 2015
Posted on January 12, 2015 at 3:03 PM by Karen Benoit
The Town of Wilbraham is accepting applications for 19 positions under the Senior Tax Work-Off Program for abatement on the Fiscal Year 2016 (July 1, 2015 – June 30, 2016) property tax bill. Basic requirements are that taxpayers must be over 60 years of age, must be an assessed owner of property in Wilbraham, and must have owned and occupied a home in Wilbraham for at least five years.
The current compensation is calculated at the state minimum wage at $9.00 per hour, and the maximum allowable abatement is $1,000 per property. As a result, seniors will need to work 111.11 hours to receive the full abatement of $1,000.00 (less federal income tax and Medicare deductions). There are 19 positions that are being offered this year:
• Town Clerk’s Office: 1 position to assist in the sorting of the annual census forms;
• Senior Center: 2 van drivers and up to 3 office assistants/receptionists;
• Library: 4 pages;
• Cemeteries: 1 person to take care of/watering planted trees;
• Public Access Television: 5 camera/production assistants;
• Selectmen’s Office: 1 position to provide clerical and customer service assistance;
• Building Department: 1 position to provide office assistance;
• Treasurer/Collector’s Office: 1 position to aid in filing, customer service and general office tasks, handling monetary transactions and data entry.
Hours are flexible and sometimes weather-permitting, can be worked out on an individual basis between the department director and the senior worker, but must be completed by November 30, 2015.
This program is beneficial for both senior residents and non-senior taxpayers. Seniors have an opportunity to lower their property tax bill, and taxpayers are benefiting from the superior talent and work experience seniors bring to the job at a very low cost to the Town.
Interested senior residents can pick up applications and information packets at the senior center, the library, or in the Selectmen’s Office, or print it at home from our
. Applications should be submitted to the Office of the Board of Selectmen as soon as possible.
A Citizen's Guide to Town Meeting
2018 ATM Documents
Agendas & Minutes
Annual Town Reports
Composting Bins Available
GIS / Mapping
Half Staff American Flag Notifications
Legal Notices (PDF)
Public Access Schedules
Channel 191 Schedule
Channel 192 Schedule
Channel 193 Schedule
Video on Demand
Public Records Requests
School District (HWRSD)
Slideshow Left Arrow
Slideshow Right Arrow